Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to

You always hear about those things where they say words or pictures can’t do it justice.  Iguazu Falls is one of those things, which actually makes a blog post about it rather difficult.

I think the thing about Iguazu is that it isn’t solely a visual experience.  You hear the falls before you see them, literally thundering. You can feel the vibrations underfoot. When they come into view, you are completely awestruck. The beauty, the magnitude, and the magnificence are overwhelming. To see God’s wondrous creation in this form is truly breathtaking. When I first glimpsed the falls from the plane, I was so struck that I had tears in my eyes.

So there’s a feeble and trite attempt at explaining in the inexplicable. Just know that Iguazu Falls comes with my absolute highest recommendation and is probably the most incredible thing I have ever seen.

View from the plane:


Argentina:







Brazil:










Also, since you are in the rainforest, numerous exotic creatures roam the trails alongside you...



If you are planning on visiting, here are a few things you should know:  you can hike both the Argentina and Brazil side in one day. We crossed the border in a taxi and going through immigration was very simple.  If you have to choose, the Brazil side is much more impressive, and better done as far as trails, views, and getting around. And don’t wear brand new Chacos because your feet will form terrible blisters until you have to pop them, thereby squirting lymph fluid in your face.  I wish I were making this up.  Oh yes, and superimposed pictures of the falls are available for purchase on the Brazil side for 20 reais.  Didn't think twice about that one...


Next up – Rio de Janeiro, where we partied with strange men and Kelly got deathly ill.  Now that’s sure to be a good read.

1 comment:

  1. These pics are amazing. I wish I could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete