Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Takes Two to Tango

Yes, it really does take two to tango, and Yenny and I learned this the hard way.  Despite our better judgment, we thought we were just the right kind of girls for a  tango lesson.  Mind you, the tango lesson included dinner and a tango show, so the last two (well, really the dinner) were what hooked us.  This whole extravaganza was only 200 pesos (= $50) AND it included free beer and wine.  This is sounding to sound a lot like the Spanish Steps Pub Crawl in Rome…

But first, the lesson!  There were maybe 30 people in the class, from all different countries and all different ages.  We started by walking around the studio in a circle to the beat of the music that was playing – I was already struggling.  Then we split up into girls and guys and learned a step.  Then the instructor would play the music and the guys had to ask the girls to dance, while switching partners every two minutes when the teacher instructed to do so.  Well, there were definitely more women than men in the class, so Yenny and I (more me I think) found ourselves standing awkwardly on the side for the majority of the time – which was FINE by me!  Anyways, we repeated this process two more times and combined everything that we had learned.  The final step we learned was a “tango pose” which involved the woman raising her leg and circling the man’s hip.  Our instructor said, “the higher the better.”  Which was not my style because I wasn’t too keen on an “I see London, I see France” situation.

Success!!!

Afterwards, we had a delicious dinner, which we enjoyed with two adorable Danish guys and three lovely girls from Australia.  The Danish guys were shooting a promotional travel video of  Buenos Aires, and they asked us Yenny and I if we would like to be in it.  At first, I was like “whaaaat kind of video?” because you never know.  But we ended up saying simultaneoulsy: “Buenos Aires is a great place to dance tango!” and struck a pose at the end.  I was a born actress; Yenny on the other hand, forgot her lines the first time around!  Embarrassing.  We were trying to be professional, but we just ended up bursting into giggles the whole time.

The show was fanastic as well! I was even selected to dance in front of everyone.  Can you imagine how much I was blushing?  Unfortunately, Yenny had enjoyed the unlimited wine a bit too much at this point and was not of mind to take pictures.



 She was only slightly better at tango than me.
 Our Danish friend was selected to dance in front of everyone as well.

And so ends our stay in Argentina. Or so we thought!  We are currently in a hotel in Cordoba, Argentina waiting to get on a flight out of here (hopefully, eventually to Bogota).  Some pretty irritating/hilarious things have happened to us in the last 24 hours in our attempt to leave Argentina, so you won't want to miss that!

1 comment:

  1. traveling partner tensions building......its undeniable at this point

    ReplyDelete