Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

New City + Old Friend

So yes, Boo and I were headed to Eastern Europe, but we couldn't leave Pisa without first acting our parts of the ultimate tourists (see below). We're so clever.


So far, I am digging Poland.  We got to the airport and took a look at the bus that would take us into the city, got intimidated, and opted for a taxi instead.  Before we got in, I asked him approximately how much it would cost for him to take us to the city center.  He replied that it would be around 70 zloty.  I hummed and hawed, and then finally agreed.  The thing is, I had no idea how much 70 zloty was – it could have been equivalent to $7 or $7,000, but it sounded reasonable enough to me.

Along with the exchange rate, I didn’t do any kind of research before coming to Krakow.  I know JP II spent a good deal of his life here, I know St. Hyacinth (aka San Jacinto aka one of my fave villages outside of Piura) is from here, and I know Mirek is from here.  And that is the extent of my knowledge.  But I was loving what I was seeing.  On our taxi ride, we passed a church where dozens of little boys and girls wearing precious white outfits were leaving following their First Communion.  Gotta love Catholicism.  The taxi had these maps with history, culture points, common phrases in Polish, and tourist attractions all related to Krakow.  It was in English and it was free.  So my first impressions of Poland were: Catholic and informative.  So far, so good.

I’m looking around at all the signs and I’m just amazed of how many consonants they can fit into a word.  And how Zs there are! Any Pole would be fantastic at Scrabble.  One of my favorite things to do is point out a word and ask Mirek how to pronounce it because it always turns out to be completey different than I imagined.  It turns out my Polish, excuse me, I mean Polski, is actually quite good.  Anytime Mirek has a conversation with someone I guess what they said and I am always right.  I mean, it’s usually things like, “Can we have some menus, please?”, “You can keep the change,” “Yes, I’m finished, you can take my plate.”  But still, I’ve never guessed incorrectly (unless Mirek is just humoring me which is very possible).

Background story on Mirek:

When I studied abroad in Spain, I lived in an apartment with four other international students – 2 boys and 2 girls.  One of the boys had to move out within the first week or so because it turned out his credits wouldn’t transfer.  Our landlady quickly filled his space with “El Polaco.”  No one knew who he was, what his name was, when he was arriving – we only knew a guy from Poland was taking Sergio’s place.  When he finally came, at first I thought his name was Mark, and then I thought it was Eric – and then I finally realized it was a mix between the two: Mirek.

Mirek and I immediately bonded because for both of us, our English was far superior to our Spanish – the preferred language of the rest of our roommates.  Mirek and I would frequently go to Mass together and we were just the bestest of friends.  But sadly the semester ended, and Mirek returned to Poland I to ooosa.  That could have been the end of our story – but no! I have come to Mirek’s home country to reunite at last!

Mirek no longer lives in Krakow, but another city three hours away, so he graciously took off work, and came to see us and be our personal tour guide!  He was amazing.  We did not have to worry about where to eat, how to talk to anyone, how to get somewhere, what to do – Mirek took care of everything.  And he didn’t mess around – we saw Market Square, St. Mary's Basilica, tons more churches, the Archbishop’s residence where John Paul II lived (that was my request), Wawel Royal Castle and Cathedral, and the Jewish District.  That kid wore us out!

 St. Mary's Basilica.  We went inside and it is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen.
 Market Square
Precious little church in Market Square - just a couple hundred feet from St. Mary's
You can't throw a cat in this town without hitting a church.  Seriously, here's two right next to each other.
Wawel Royal Castle from afar
 Lots of fun things to do at Wawel Castle - but something in particular caught my eye.
 Am I reading that right?! DRAGON'S DEN?
 But alas, no dragon.  Without a dragon, I think they should just advertise it as "Den."
 Zygmunt Bell in the Cathedral of the Castle dating back to 1520.  It's only rung on important occasions like the end of World War II, when John Paul II was named pope, when he died, and when he was beatified, and on the death of Poland's President and First Lady
Apparently, it's good luck to touch the bell, so Boo had to get in on the action
Late Polish President and First Lady buried in the crypt of the Cathedral
 What I love about Poland: they have pictures of John Paul II everywhere
Really, everywhere.

 The Archbishop's residence in Krakow - where John Paul II lived before he became pope
 JP II would address the public from this window

Mirek and Boo at our lovely terrace lunch
my little meer-kat :)
 Kazimierz, the Jewish District
 Jewish cemetery (obvious caption)
While walking around Kazimierz, we saw everyone was eating these big pieces of bread with all kinds of toppings on them (looking back, I guess it's basically just pizza).  Mirek told us that late at night, after a night of drinking, you can end up waiting an hour to get one of these things.  Well I'm always down for drunk food at any time of day.  So we took the plunge and ours was an interesting mix of tomato, mushroom, feta, corn, and green olives.  Loved it.
 The original city walls
Mirek's university - I don't think he wanted to be in the picture.
 Enjoying a beer at the end of our very long day (ignore the bison fingers)
Lech tops Żywiec anyday (I am so Polish)
And we even got to enjoy some sweet break dancing

One final thing about how fantastic Poland is - everyone is paler than me!  For once, my skin does not blind passersby. 

Now to Paris - yes, sure, we'll go to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe like your everyday, normal, run-of-the mill tourists, but we've also set our sights on something much more exciting and dare I say, magical:  Disneyland Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment