Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baile en la Calle

I have not blogged in an entire week for many reasons – illness, no internet, not to mention innate laziness. So here’s what went down last Thursday, June 10.

The abejas were after me AGAIN at lunch today. But this time, I was prepared. I fashioned an abeja trap to set at the bench next to us (yes, we sat at the benches again, I’ll be so ready to be finished with this university – I’m going to write PUCP a letter informing them that they need more seating at the cafeteria), which consisted of the dessert of the day. Secondly I made a barrier so the abejas couldn’t detect all of my delicious (ok, mediocre) food. It didn’t work. They still swarmed. I still caused a scene.


abeja trap

abeja barrier

That afternoon, we went to the US Embassy, a very impressive building. I was entirely thrilled because I still have very fresh memories of my time at the embassy in Spain. Not great. But this visit pleasantly surprised me. We met with around five representatives each from different sectors – commercial, public relations, anti-drug, etc. I asked a question to the commercial representative about oil and gas drilling in Peru and its affect on indigenous people (my paper topic – very strategic of me). The whole experience was very positive and everyone was really nice and welcoming towards us.

Kathryn and I decided that we are destined for Foreign Service and need to sign up ASAP to take the test to qualify for it. I had previously mentioned that I wish I could do a class like this one for every country that I wanted to visit. Learn, visit, experience, this class has got it all. Well the government has a whole program set up for me with three-year stays in various countries, language lessons, and frequent trips back to the USA. So today was really successful in terms of determining my future career plans.


The embassy -- huge!!

Tonight we had plans to meet Luis since it was our last night to go out in Lima. We met him for dinner, even though all 15 of us had already eaten with our host families. Luis, therefore, was the only one who ate. Luis said he had to go back home, but he would meet us at 11:00. Yeah right, didn’t happen. Peruvians are so sketch. We had fun anyways because any place we went to was absolutely empty. Like not another soul in the bar. So we once again whipped out our gringa dance moves. A sight for sure. That night I started feeling sick, but I thought it was just from drinking (which had a little bit to do with it, I’m sure). Little did I know what was in store for me the next few days…


Gin con gin? Now that's my kind of drink.


2 comments:

  1. suspense just reached juliette hammering the hydrogen bomb level. on a side note, it looks like the embassy has no windows, are foreign services people kept in dungeons? also, you traveled over a 1000 miles, and are ordering common oklahoma drinks, what gives? where are the inka mixed drinks? Thunderup

    ReplyDelete
  2. and belated have a speedy recovery, if i told you to 'get well soon,' it wouldn't be soon enough. get well now, being sick sucks.

    ReplyDelete