Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

The big day

Tuesday, June 15

Well the day started early – 4:00 in the morning early. But I didn’t mind as today was the day I was fulfilling my dream of going to Machu Picchu. After four trips to Peru, I decided it was high time I visit one of the top tourist destinations in the world. I have been dying to go since circa 2001 when Where in the World is Matt Lauer featured Machu Picchu. You might think something that I’ve been building up for nine years might not live up to expectations…. But it delivered. It definitely delivered.

So yes, an early morning was necessary for this once in a lifetime adventure. We were supposed to meet in the hotel lobby at 4:30, but it took us a little longer to get ready (of course) so Kristina, Kathryn, and I were running after the group to the bus station. We waited in line for about an hour (it was really cold – I wasn’t wearing a jacket). Our whole group made it on one bus and we started the ascent up the mountain. By this point, I was so excited my stomach was hurting.

Sunrise over the Andes - I told you we were up early

Our entire group decided it was a good idea to climb Huayna Picchu – the large mountain behind Machu Picchu that you see in all of the pictures. To do that, you have to be one of the first 200 people there. Once we were granted entrance to Machu Picchu, we ran through the entire thing to stand in line at the gate for Huayna Picchu. It was very much like running to Space Mountain once the gates to Disney World open. At this point, I was already in a bad way because I really had to pee and there are no bathrooms inside Machu Picchu.

Not to detract anything from the Machu Picchu experience, because it was incredible, but here’s my take on Huayna Picchu. My hiking/trekking/climbing in foreign countries is limited, but I do have a little experience and here’s how they stack up:

Cinque Terre, Italy – Pros: Incredible views. Cons: Raining

Great Wall of China, China (duh) – Pros: Awe inspiring. Cons: Hot and crowded

Huayna Picchu: Pros: ummm. Cons: Miserable in every sense of the word

The entire way up, I was reminded of when Rhonda and I would take several breaks climbing various structures (Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Sevilla Cathedral, etc.), but disguise them as photo ops. There was definitely a lot of that going on.


Oh what's that through the trees? Oh, it's Machu Picchu

At the peak - I don't know these people
Yeah we're really high up.

OK, I’m definitely exaggerating, it really wasn’t all bad, but the climb up Huayna Picchu paled in comparison to actually experiencing Machu Picchu. So fast forward to ascending and then descending the mountain, and I needed a bathroom… stat. We walked back outside of the gate and use the bathroom (which cost 1 sol, which is a rip off because we’re paying 50 soles or something to come anyways, and the bathroom wasn’t even well maintained), and ate lunch. We ate at like 10:00 in the morning, but excused it since we had been up since 4:00.

Everything has been kind of negative so far, but it gets good here:

Kathryn and I decided we were in desperate need of a descanso (rest) so we found a particularly appealing terrace and took a little nap. There’s really nothing cooler than napping on Machu Picchu. I could have easily passed for an Inca (minus my vampire pale skin), I felt so at home there. Once we were well rested, we debated about our next move. Go back to the hotel? Explore more of the ruins? Give Huayna Picchu another try? (f no on that last one). We opted to do some more exploring, so equipped with my guidebook and positive attitude; I attempted to lead us to the most important areas.


descanso

Those are some good lookin hiking boots

I still haven’t found a fitting adjective for the experience: striking, breathtaking, stunning, awesome, astounding. And it wasn’t just the amazing architectural feat that is Machu Picchu, but its surroundings are just as impressive. The Andes Mountains are so grand and beautiful that it’s almost hard to comprehend. Like I said, I was nervous that it wouldn’t live up to my expectations – but it far exceeded them.



It had been such a long day already, but it was only 2:30 when we got back to the hotel. We had a visitor waiting in our room – the most awful, disgusting, ominous bug I have ever encountered. It was far too large and terrifying to kill, so we decided to just leave it alone. Kathryn took a nap until dinner, but I restlessly laid in bed worried about the bug and checking on it to make sure it hadn’t moved. After dinner, Kristina was our savior and fearlessly smashed the bug with her hiking boot, which she flushed down our toilet that didn’t work.


1 comment:

  1. first off, since i don't know anything about south america, i have to google/wikipedia like 20 things each post to keep up. long story short, you have almost a perfect match of the wikipedia pic for machu pichu, so propz to your mad photog skills. and you must really love peru if you're gonna be dropping magic kingdom references. but no way is that comparison even close (pause for a reminiscing break), but whats impressive is that you recognizing the epicness of space mountain. every time i go, i see the same thing, half (up to 2/3rds) go towards frontierland for the splash/thunder mount combo while the select few who know their rides go space. rambling aside, just know i did a little fist pump when i learned there is another fan out there who loves space mountain. while this is off topic, and there is a 1 and a billion chance you are reading over this, but still a chance and i'll forget to ask otherwise, top 3 favorite attractions, past or present?

    ReplyDelete